Strawberry and Basil Salad- vegan

A fruity Summer side dish!
We are still enjoying what must be the longest strawberry-growing season here in the UK for years! They are irresistible snacks and smoothie ingredients, but can also make an interesting salad when teamed with fresh herbs and leaves and chunky cucumber pieces.
In your salad bowl, make a bed of lettuce (red oakleaf is what we used here) and / or rocket, then add halved strawberries mixed with chunks of cucumber and fresh basil leaves. Tear the basil to release the aromatic oils that give it its distinctive flavour. As the strawberries I was using were quite sharp, I simply drizzled a little extra-virgin olive oil over the salad and sprinkled it with coarse black pepper. (You could get away with a little lemon juice or balsamic vinegar if your strawberries are sweeter.)

This salad bowl makes an attractive addition to your table.


Comments

  1. love this simple but delicious flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshness in a bowl! Loving this combo - but I'll have to wait till the next strawberry season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly tuck into this right now, so so seasonal. Your right about the strawberries this year, still coming on strong. Today, whilst out strolling, I even foraged a punnet full of blackberries - pretty amazing to see both strawberries and blackberries growing in the same month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I can't remember a year when you could get strawbs and blackberries at the same time from the same place :)

      Delete
  4. I feel healthier just looking at this gorgeous salad!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawberries are gorgeous in Europe, too! I saw those baby ones here in Spain, so cute! I've never had strawberries with basil in a salad, except for this salad I've tried with another vegan blogger: http://veganmiam.com/the-americas/united-states/oregon/portland-meeting-veggietorials-blossoming-lotus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts