Date Porridge- vegan

Add some fruit and almond milk to your porridge for an even better breakfast experience! 
I have to confess that, sometime last month, I ditched my breakfast smoothie in favour of something a little more substantial. There's something just not quite right about making and consuming smoothies when it isn't even light yet and it's slightly chilly, isn't there? Now usually my "something more substantial" isn't as healthy as a smoothie, but then I decided to try out my husband's favourite hot breakfast- porridge. Good old plain and boring porridge... except that nothing my husband makes is ever plain and boring, so this recipe is packed with fruity, seed-y flavours, natural sweetness and nutrients. Like a smoothie really. 

Serves 2-3:
1 cup porridge oats
2 cups water
6 dates, pitted and halved (we used fresh, but dried dates are also good)
1 tab pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-Plus almond milk to mix, agave nectar and fresh fruit to go on top
-Deluxe version: Throw in some raisins and cashew nuts too.

  • Simmer all the ingredients together until the oats are cooked.
  • Stir in some almond milk and top with agave and fresh fruit. Guaranteed to keep you fuelled until lunchtime, however late that may be!


Comments

  1. Lovely stuff, perfect for these rainy mornings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cinnamon & dates in my porridges, such a natural lovely brekkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat this all day, especially if it's a giant Goldilocks PapaBear-sized bowl. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts