Recipes Revisited- Satay Sauce



Satay is a delicious, peanut-based sauce that's perfect for vegans; I've used it as a dip, to make seitan satay sticks and with stir fries. We published a recipe for a quick and easy satay sauce back in September 2012, but I knew I could improve on it, and here's the result:

Serves 4-6:
1 can coconut milk
2 heaped tabs peanut buttter (smooth; I used home made with no salt added)
1/2 tsp compound hing
3 1/2 tabs dark soy sauce/ tamari
1/2 tsp seasalt*
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
*If you are using salted peanut butter you may want to adjust this accordingly.
  • Stir/ whisk the peanut butter into the coconut milk until blended thoroughly.
  • Mix in the rest of the ingredients
  • Heat gently, and use as a dip or a stir-fry sauce, to coat tofu or seitan, or even as a salad dressing when cooled.
Add caption

Comments

  1. Ooh I do love satay sauce and I haven't made any in a very long time. What is compound hing? Asafoetida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it's asafoetida resin mixed with rice and/ or wheat flour, so check the label if you are cooking gluten free. It's not as strong as the pure resin so it won't stink out your pantry! Look out for the yellow tub "Vandevi" brand in most Asian shops. If you ever want some and can't get it in Cornwall I could send you some from Brum!

      Delete

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment- feedback from you really helps me to decide what to post, and I love hearing from you- thanks :)

Popular Posts